Monday, January 9, 2012

Food Shopping...

Every Sunday morning, mom and I beat the crowds and get our food shopping done early. We typically get to Market Basket by 7:30, so that we can be out before it gets crazy in there. I think the grocery store is the best place to people watch or cart watch. Sometimes I find myself making stories up about the people based on what they have in their carts. A shopping cart can say a lot about a person.

For instance, if you spot a couple pushing their shopping cart through the store, you can tell if they are hosting their first get together. The female will always have a list along with printed recipes from the food network and they both will carefully, select each ingredient to perfect these recipes. Let's not talk about what happens when they can't find the ingredients from the print outs, crisis.

There are the shoppers who can't be bothered with cooking and fill their carts with all sorts of frozen foods, deli meats, and prepared meals. Toss in some chips and cookies and get to the check out.

One of my favorite shoppers are the husbands, sent into the store with a strict list given to them from their wife. I remember this one time I was picking food out for my cat and this gentleman said to me "I am here picking up food for the cat, not sure if he'll be more mad or my wife will be if I get the wrong kind". I remember laughing with him as he carefully selected the canned food.

Then there are the dieters, especially those weight watchers people. I can say this, because I am on the weight watchers. We all have the same foods in our carts. Salad, fruit, light and fit yogurt, an occasional Smart One, chicken breast (boneless, skinless) and you have to have the Special K or Fiber One cereal. Not to mention the endless bottles of seltzer. Fun fact about Market Basket that I learned from weight watchers is that at the Chelsea location if you walk just the perimeter of the inside from beginning to end, you will have walked 1 1/2 miles. Pretty Good.

Lastly, the moms. I have fond memories of shopping with my mom when I was little. We always needed two carriages and at some point during the shopping trip, mom would pull her cart over to the side of an aisle, take out her blue coupon holder and sort through coupons. My mom never had a list, it was more a free for all and I loved it. It meant my brother and I could get the snacks we wanted! The moms today, have their lists and their reusable bags. They walk with determination to get this stuff done. Go moms!

Next time you're out shopping, look at your cart and see what kind of shopper you are. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment