Saturday, March 17, 2012

Happy St Patrick's Day and Happy Birthday Uncle Frank


Today is not only St Patrick's Day, it is also my Uncle Frank's Day!!

I thought it would be fitting to post a recipe using cabbage since it is St Paddy's day. Instead of using green cabbage, my recipe uses red cabbage. It's funny, I didn't grow up eating red cabbage, we ate savoy cabbage, but for some reason I always wanted to try it. I think it had something to do with the movie A Christmas Story. There is a scene in the movie when Ralphie asks the mom what's for dinner and she replies "red cabbage". When I was young, I wanted to know what this "red cabbage" was and more importantly how it tasted. So, in my freshman year at JWU, I told mom for one of our side dishes at Christmas I wanted to make braised red cabbage and she gave me her usual skeptical look, but gave in. Well, I have to say I think it was a hit, at least to Uncle Frank! He loved it and every year, he asks "are making the red cabbage?". So, Uncle Frank I dedicate this recipe to you on your birthday. Here is my recipe for Braised Sweet and Sour Red Cabbage

Serves 6 as a side dish

1 full head of red cabbage, cleaned and chopped into quarters
2 Fuji apples, cored and sliced thin
2 tablespoons butter
2 cups of vegetable stock or you could use apple cider
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
11/2 tablespoon honey
1/2 teaspoon allspice
Salt and pepper

In a Dutch oven, heat the butter. Put the red cabbage in the pan and sauté for ten minutes, until cabbage is coated and just beginning to break down. Add the apples and cook for five minutes. Deglaze the pan with the vegetable stock. Season with salt and pepper and add the allspice. Cover with the lid and cook on a medium heat for 45 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Uncover and stir in the balsamic vinegar and honey. You are looking for the balance of sweet and sour with this recipe. Adjust seasonings and serve with a tender roast pork or balsamic glazed chicken, to name a couple.

Happy Birthday Uncle Frank! Thanks for always making me laugh and always being the one to swear first at a family get together! There's nothing wrong with that!!! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment