Friday, May 13, 2011

Never underestimate a simple Roast Chicken


There are quotes we will always remember. Movie quotes, like the famous "Luke I am your father" and "Nobody puts Baby in the corner" and literary quotes like "O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo" and "Beware the ides of March". Then there are what I like to call family quotes and there is one quote my mother said many, many years ago that left a lasting impression on my cousin Stacy and I. That quote went something like this, "What the hell the chicken isn't even in the oven? We're never gonna eat.".

Allow me to set the scene, I was probably 12 or 13 and Stacy was maybe 10. She was spending the day and night over my house. My mom had to go to work that day and she left us with very specific instructions on how to cook this chicken she had defrosting. At 4:00p we were to rinse the chicken, then dry it, season with salt, pepper and rosemary, drizzle some oil on it and put it in the oven. My dad was supposed to supervise this whole process, so mom left thinking the three of us were capable of managing this roast chicken. So, 4:00p rolls around and we cut the chicken out of it's plastic package and place it in a pan to rinse. My dad set the oven for us and Stacy and I were doing our thing, rinsing the chicken and drying it off. We look inside the cavity of the chicken and notice this bag full of "stuff", is what we called it. Now, I know that bag is filled with giblets, which include the heart, liver and gizzard. We did everything we could to get this bag out, we used tongs, our hands, all the while being completely grossed out at the thought of what would happen when we finally got this thing out. I think my dad finally intervened and tried to help and that's when the door opened and mom was home. Here we are, raw chicken still on the counter in the pan, the three of us defeated by this chicken and mom with the memorable quote "What the hell the chicken isn't even in the oven? We're never gonna eat?". Mom ended up putting on her superwoman cape as moms typically do, she miraculously got the bag out of the chicken and we were able to eat an hour and a half later. That story still makes Stacy and I laugh. I now know ho to handle a chicken and wanted to share with you my recipe for a simple roast chicken...

Serves 4
2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
2 celery stalk, washed and rough chopped
1 onion, rough chopped
1 5-6 lb whole roasting chicken
1 whole lemon, washed and cut in half
1 bunch fresh rosemary
1/2 stick unsalted butter, softened
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
in a medium size roasting pan, place the carrots, celery and onion. This will act as a "rack" for the chicken to lay on. Rinse and dry the chicken. Season the entire chicken, including the cavity with salt and pepper. Place the two halves of the lemon inside the cavity, along with half the rosemary. Chop the other half of the rosemary and mix with the softened butter. Place the chicken in the pan, breast side up. Spread all the butter and rosemary mix on the top and sides of the chicken and then place it in the oven. Roast the chicken until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. This may take up to 1 hour 20 minutes. When the chicken is done, transfer to a platter, cover with foil and let rest at least 10 minutes. Make your favorite pan gravy with the veggies and pan drippings. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment