Friday, July 8, 2011

It's Cookie Time....

Recently, I took on a new and exciting project as the pastry chef for a a baking company based in Lynn called Wicked Tasty. I am very excited to join the team and start baking cookies with my new staff! Wicked Tasty is a non-profit organization with two goals; to provide training and career services for low income families and to produce some amazing and affordable food. I want to send a huge "thank you" to Caleb who is the brain behind this endeavor. His passion is inspiring and I look forward to working with him. Be sure to check out the Wicked Tasty Facebook page and "Like" it so you can get all the latest information about this program.

Now the question is what kind of cookie should we start with? On my drive home the other day I thought about what makes the perfect cookie. For me it depends on the cookie. The perfect chocolate chip cookie is crisp on the outside and when broken is gooey in the center with a slight hint of salt. A shortbread should have that golden glow and crumble when broken. A classic French Macaron should be crisp on the outside and then airy throughout and they should always be filled with some kind of delicious buttercream. Should we talk about biscotti? Biscotti should have that crunch when bitten into from being baked twice and they should always be able to stand up to being dunked in coffee. I could probably go on forever talking about cookies as cookies are classic treat.

What type of cookie should Wicked Tasty start with? I could always go classic and do a Milk Chocolate Chip Cookie or maybe even an Oatmeal Cookie with some dried figs and spice. Or, a Shortbread Cookie could be fun or maybe Lime and Cornmeal. What about an Oreo cookie or maybe a Double Chocolate Chip Cookie with dried cherries and maybe a bit of Maldon Salt.

All you cookie monsters out there send me your suggestions Let me know what your favorite cookie is!

3 comments:

  1. Jennifer, I really like your blog. Thanks for being a part of SPIN Lynn helping our summer youth workers learning a skill while at the same time making food so we can share your recipes with others. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I like the double chocolate cherries with dried cherries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.marthastewart.com/336491/smores-cookies

    ReplyDelete