Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Where's the cheese?

On Saturday, mom and I hit the Rose Kennedy Greenway and did a little shopping. It was the second week of the Greenway Market and the waterfront was buzzing with tourists, trolleys and food trucks.

Being a big fan of the food trucks, I told mom we should try one of the trucks. We stopped by the Grilled Cheese Nation truck. Outside was an A-frame chalkboard with their menu and everything sounded delicious. From the basic Boston Common to the Brie Me Up, the small menu got me excited to try this food truck solely dedicated to grilled cheese. Since, I love Iggy's Rye bread, I decided on the In Gouda We Trust, which was mushrooms, caramelized onions and Gouda on Rye. We ordered our food and the price seemed way out of line. I remember thinking we could have walked to the Fort Point and got a bowl a pasta from Sportello for what we paid for a grilled cheese. Mom went in search of a shady bench and I waited for the sandwich and waited and waited. Finally, the girl handed me to small pouches with our sandwiches inside. They smelled good and I was excited to open the pouch up and bite into that Rye. When I opened the sandwich, the bread was thinner than expected, but it smelled good. I took a bite and thought "where's the cheese?" and "is the new caramelized onion supposed to undercooked". I think we all know what a caramelized onion should look and taste like, caramel in color and sweet to the taste. This sandwich was not worth the money, sorry Grilled Cheese Nation next time I am aching for a grilled cheese sandwich I will just make one at home. Here is my recipe for my All Dressed Up Grilled Cheese.

Makes 2 sandwiches

4 slices of either Brioche or Challah, sliced 1/4 inch thick
2 tablespoons whole grain mustard
4 slices of extra sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 cup arugula
1 cup confit tomatoes or 4 thick slices of Heirloom tomatoes when in season
cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Get a saute pan on the stove and brush the entire pan with the melted butter. Put the heat on medium. Lay the bread slices out and spread all slices with the mustard. Then divide the other ingredients among two slices of bread, starting with the cheese, then the tomatoes, then arugula and finally a turn of the pepper mill and then top with the other slice of bread. Place in the pan and cook on each side about 4 minutes, until golden brown. Enjoy!

Even though I had a bad experience at one truck, it won't keep me away from visiting my favorites. If you are ever in Dewey Square during the week, you need to visit Clover. It is excellent, vegan/vegetarian options galore and seasonal lemonades as well as the best rosemary fries. Then there is the Bon Me truck, which specializes in bahn mi, Vietnamese baguette sandwiches. There are all sorts of fillings for these delicious sandwiches. The truck also offers noodle salads and rice bowls. If you're looking for some good coffee, Lincoln Street Coffee has truck dedicated to ensuring we all get out caffeine boost. These truck make appearances at SOWA Sundays as well as at various markets and squares around the city. Be sure to check them out next time you're walking around the city.

No comments:

Post a Comment