Sunday, November 18, 2012

One pot special....

Late fall and all through winter, I tend to do a lot of braising, stewing and roasting. I also like to try to make at least one, one pot meal a week. One pot meals are perfect. You put everything in the pan and voila, it's done. One of my favorite pans to use are my Le Creuset Dutch ovens.

The first year Phil and I were together, he spoiled me forever when he gave me my first Le Creuset Dutch oven. Now a lot of women would not like a pan for Christmas, but I certainly loved it. It was like getting the "Gucci" of pans! I had always admired Julia's pans while watching old episodes of her show on tv. Now, I finally had my own and I couldn't wait to get it cooking. These pans maintain heat and cook food beautifully. I have added a few more to my collection over the years and I use my Creuset most nights to cook dinner and especially for the recipe I am going to share, which is simply titled one pot chicken dish.

For this dish, the ingredients can be changed around pending on what you may have in the pantry or fridge. I first made this because I had chicken in the fridge, oil cured olives in my pantry and some feta cheese. I remember adding some chicken broth and brown rice to the dish and it was a full meal. The recipe I am going to share is my favorite version of this one pot meal, but again feel free to modify the ingredients. Here is my recipe for one pot chicken dish....

Serves 4
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 oz of boneless chicken breast, cut into cubes
2 cups low sodium chicken broth or homemade chicken broth
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1/4 cup chopped green olives
1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup torn basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste
Block of Feta cheese sliced to serve

In a Dutch oven, heat the oil. Add the chicken and let brown on all sides. When chicken is caramelized, deglaze pan with chicken broth. Bring to simmer and let cook for 8-10 minutes. Add tomatoes, green olives and season with salt and pepper. Bring this to a boil. Fold in the brown rice, turn the heat down to medium and cover with the lid. Cook until rice had absorbed the broth, but still has a creamy consistency. Stir in the basil and adjust seasonings. I like to serve this topped with lived feta cheese, it adds a slight saltiness to the dish.

I have made this recipe with chicken on the bone and it came out equally delicious.


Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment