Friday, September 3, 2010

Apple Picking...

I am crossing my fingers that Hurricane Earl doesn't ruin my apple picking plans for tomorrow! Phil and I planned to get out early tomorrow and drive back to Cider Hill Farms and take part in one of Fall's greatest traditions, apple picking. Fall is one of my favorite seasons not only it is beautiful in color, but the food it brings is always comforting and it gears us up for the winter.

Tomorrow I hope to pick some delicious, crisp apples and make some pies, cakes, salads, chips and all sorts of apple delights with my finds! One of my favorite apple treats is a recipe from my grandma Alda. Who in my eyes, was one of the best home chefs I knew. Even tuna salad tasted better in her kitchen. Sometimes when I am making one of her recipes and I use the word "recipe" liberally because she was a pinch of this kind of cook, I say a small prayer to her. I pray that the recipe will come together and the final dish will in some way taste like hers. Then there are the times when the recipe is just not working and I will shout, "Come on grandma help me out!". I know it might make me look slightly insane, but for me it works and I believe when I cook I have grandma Alda on my shoulder.

I will share her recipe for apple cake when I pick up the apples so be sure to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment