Wednesday, December 15, 2010

12 Days of Recipes...Appetizers

I know I skipped a day, but I am back on track and we are talking appetizers. Traditionally on Christmas day we enjoy an Antipasto platter filled with assorted salami, prosciutto, mortadella, provolone and various vegetables. When talking about Italian cold cuts, there is only one place to go and that is Jerry's on Everett st in East Boston. I remember my Uncle Augie taking me to Jerry's to get mortadella to make sandwiches or sangwiches like he would say, for lunch! It honestly looks like a dive inside with shelves filled with different Italian products and the same guys working behind the counter. My favorite thing at Jerry's is to watch him grate the Romano cheese, I am still fascinated by it and when he grates the cheese, he leaves the skin of cheese which is like a treat to eat later when you get home!

So, meats taken care of, but I also like to do some vegetables like roasted peppers, beets, marinated olives and I think this year I am going to quick pickle some vegetables. Here is my recipe for marinated beets.

2 bunches of beets, top parts cut off and washed
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a baking dishes place the beets, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper. Mix ingredients and cover with tinfoil. Place in oven and bake until fork tender, about 1 1/2 hours. When beets are cooked, cool slightly and peel using a towel, this will rub the skin off and not effect the shape of the beet. I like to cut my beets into cubes, I toss it with some of the pan drippings and serve at room temp. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment