Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Perfect Hot Chocolate for a snowy day!!

When I was little I loved visiting my nana Virginia because she was always cooking up good treats and she was a sassy lady with her hair always perfect and her nails polished a pretty plum.
Nana made the best potato pancakes, which I will save for another blog, now I want to talk hot chocolate. I can remember she would ask Frankie and I if we wanted hot chocolate when the adults were drinking coffee and we always said yes. She always made hot chocolate on the stovetop in a pot with chocolate syrup and milk, for us that was a treat cause mom made the easy hot chocolate, you know the kind prepacked envelope mixed with hot water. Mmmmm, I remember sitting at her kitchen table on Everett St sipping my hot chocolate playing with Mischief and Peppy ( her pets) and listening to the neighborhood and family gossip being discussed by the adults.
Tonight because of the snow, I decided to treat Phil to some of nana's hot chocolate and I wanted to share my favorite recipe for cinnamon hot chocolate. Here it is....

Serves 2
2 cups milk
1/2 cup chopped semisweet chocolate
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a small saucepan scald milk. Bubbles will appear around the edge of the milk that is when you will know the milk is warm. Add the remaining ingredients and whisk together until chocolate is melted and combined. Pour into two mugs, top with marshmallows or whipped cream or even just a dusting of cinnamon.
Cheers Nana!

No comments:

Post a Comment