Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Tuna Gravy...

Lent is here and so begins the season of no eating meat on Friday! I remember when I was a little I didn't understand why we couldn't eat meat on Fridays or why once every year on a Wednesday we also couldn't eat meat. Safe to say years later, I almost understand, goes to show how much I paid attention in CCD.

My grandmother used to make this really simple gravy with Italian tuna in it and I wanted to share that recipe with those who need a little help with planning their meat free Friday dinners during Lent. Here is my recipe for Tuna Gravy....

Serves 4

1 can Italian tuna, packed in oil
1 can plum tomatoes, processed in a food mil or food processor
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound bucatini pasta

Put water on to boil the bucatini and add salt to the water. In a saucepan, heat the oil and then add the tuna with the oil that it was packed in. Chop it up using a rubber spatula or fork and let cook about five minutes. Put in the tomato and season with salt and pepper. Add 3/4 cup of water and let simmer on the stove for 30-45 minutes. Be sure to adjust seasonings at the end. When the water is boiling, add pasta and cook for 8-11 minutes. Strain the pasta well and add to the sauce in the pan. Toss pasta with the tuna gravy and serve. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment