Monday, March 7, 2011

To CSA or not to CSA?

As the days turn longer and the sun gets a little warmer, I am thinking about all the farmer's markets that will be opening soon! This leads me to a question about whether or not to sign up for a CSA.

I've done some research and here are some CSA basics, a farmer offers a certain number of "shares" to the public. Typically the share consists of a box of vegetables, but can also have other farm products included. Some of these products could be dairy, fruits, flowers, honey/jams, etc. Interested consumers purchase a share or membership and each week visits their local farm or farmer's market to pick up their box of seasonal produce throughout the entire farming season (June-November). I like the idea of getting new treats every week and maybe getting Phil to eat more veggies. The other thing I like is that I would be supporting local farms, which to all foodies is very important. The price is also something that is really impressive, for a half share it would break down to be $15-17 per week, which is reasonable for two people. One question I have is, does anyone out there know of any farms that allow you to mix and match your basket? I would love to have the option of some weeks being able to mix and match, not every week, but the option would be nice.

No matter the decision, I can't wait for late May when the markets open, especially the Copley Market. Visiting Siena Farms just to get a peak of the sunflowers makes my day, not to mention the cookies they sell from Sofra, delicious. I would love any suggestions or feedback if there is anyone who has had a membership to a CSA and to all you foodies, the markets will be open soon and our fridges will be filled with local fruits and vegetables ready to be enjoyed!

2 comments:

  1. Jenn - you have inspired me, yet again, to try registering with the CSA in Millis. They've been sold out the past two years. I love that it is super close and the kids love going to the farm to see the animals and the year-round hay maze...and the ice cream. You can do some PYO with the CSA too. I think most have a 'share your share' type table if there's something you don't want or need, leave it to share and take something else - sort of mix and match-ish.

    I have too much self control for the market - for me it's better to pay up front and reap the rewards all season long.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keith happy you are inspired to join a CSA. We all support the local farmers and cut back on the middle man where we can!! I can't wait for the markets to open up. This year I'm taking you to the Copley farmers market and we sip lavender lemonade and buy loads of veggies!!

    ReplyDelete