Friday, June 24, 2011

Broccoli Cheddar Soup


Can I tell you a secret? One of my guilty pleasures is a hot bowl of broccoli cheddar soup from Panera. It is so good with it's creamy texture and bits of broccoli florets. It's something I know isn't good for me, but when I go to Panera I simply have to have it and sometimes I even treat myself to having it in a bread bowl.

Tonight, I wanted to cut out a little of the bad stuff and make a light broccoli cheddar soup. This bowl of soup still packs a creamy texture and is full of flavor without going overboard in the calorie department. Here is my recipe for Broccoli Cheddar Soup.....

Serves 4

3 cups of broccoli florets and stems, cut florets, clean stems and rough chop
1 shallot, diced 1/2 inch
2 carrots, peeled and rough chopped
1 yukon gold potato, washed and cut 1/2 inch cubes
4 cups good quality vegetable stock, either homemade or store bought. When I don't have the time to make my own I prefer Kitchen Basics brand, no salt added
1/4 teaspoon allspice
salt and pepper
1/4 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar
Oyster crackers for serving

In a large saucepan, combine broccoli, carrots, shallot, potato and the broth. Add the allspice and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer and let cook until the vegetables are tender. Taste and adjust seasoning. Strain the vegetables from the stock, reserving the stock. Add vegetables to a food processor and pulse, adding a ladle of stock in at a time until you get a creamy consistency. Add the puree back to the pan and bring up to a simmer. Add the heavy cream and the shredded cheddar. Taste the soup again and adjust. Serve with some crispy oyster crackers and enjoy!

*This soup could stand on it's own without the cream or cheese if you want to keep vegan.

No comments:

Post a Comment