Monday, June 6, 2011

Magnolia Bakery...

Over the weekend Phil and I hopped on a bus down to NYC. It was a very last minute idea and we had no plans aside from just having fun. We strolled through the Central Park Zoo and down Fifth Ave for the first part of our day, stopping into different shops along the way and then decided we need to find some lunch.

We popped into Bouchon Bakery hoping to find a quick and delicious bite. I had visited the Time Warner location in the Fall and had a great experience, so I expected this location to be just as good. Unfortunately, the service was less than desirable and the sandwiches, though tasty, left Phil and I a little hungry, which meant dessert time. Since Magnolia Bakery was just around the corner we stopped in there to check out the treats.

My first visit to Magnolia Bakery was probably about 7 or 8 years ago. My friend Luke and I decided to do a food tour of NYC, stopping at Pastis, Marie Belle, Chelsea Food Market and of course the first Magnolia Bakery in Greenwich Village. The exact Magnolia Bakery that Carrie and Miranda sat outside of in Sex in the City enjoying vanilla cupcakes with pink frosting and chatting about their boy problems. I remember Luke and I had to wait in a pretty long line outside of the bakery to just get in. When we did finally make it inside I fell in love with this place. There were glass cases filled with colorful treats and cake stands decorated the tops of the cases. On the side wall was what I like to call cupcake heaven, a table lined with all sorts of brightly frosted cupcakes. There were vanilla cupcakes with assorted pastel colors, chocolate cupcakes with vanilla frosting and of course red velvet cupcakes. Luke and I chose our cupcakes and went on our merry way. I loved that day and my first experience at Magnolia.

My Magnolia visit over the weekend was just as exceptional. The staff was very friendly making recommendations and being very attentive to all the guests. Phil and I chose our treats, we decided on a Magic Bar, Swan Lake Cupcake and one of my favorite desserts from Magnolia, Banana Pudding. We enjoyed our treats as we strolled down Fifth Ave through the market that was going on that day. These treats made up for a weak lunch. Thank You Magnolia Bakery for being the sweetest place around.

If it's not part of your collection you should check out the More From Magnolia cookbook written by the owner herself, Allysa Torey. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment