Saturday, June 18, 2011

Strawberries and an iPhone.....



Today was quite a day. We hit the road early with mom and dad and headed up to Amesbury to pick strawberries at Cider Hill Farm. I had actually never been strawberry picking before and was excited to take part in what I hope to be a yearly ritual from now on. Cider Hill as always was the perfect setting for this activity. We filled a few containers as well as a tray of ripe and red strawberries. Then of course visited the the Farm store to indulge in cider donuts and some farm fresh milk. This time we purchased eggs hatched from Cider Hill's very own chickens, which mom had to feed! Now what to do with these strawberries!

I have recently been researching preserves and jams and wanted to test out a recipe from I book I just purchased called Canning For a New Generation by Liana Krissoff. The book is really well put together with great detail on how to get started, helpful tips, assorted recipes and even labels for your completed goods. I especially like that the recipes are different from your typical jam recipes, Krissoff takes various herbs and spices and adds them to things that maybe you wouldn't have put together. For example, the Strawberry jam with Thai Herbs combines fresh strawberries with cilantro, mint and Thai basil. There is also a great recipe for pickled fennel with orange and mint that sounds like it would be delicious over a bed of dandelion greens. My first recipe that I am going to try this week using all my strawberries with be the Strawberry Jam recipe. I will fill you all in on how my first jamming session goes (Malissa jamming 101 at my place!).

The day didn't stop there. We went to the Apple store where my parents stepped into modern time and got themselves iPhones. Mom was so excited to have a phone she could play bejeweled on! Good Luck with the new phones mom and dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment