Friday, August 27, 2010

Corn Chowder


I just picked up some sweet corn at the Farmer's Market and am throwing together some corn chowder for dinner tonight. I can remember the first time I had corn chowder it was out of a can and I was probably 7 years old. My mom made it for me with some saltines, I thought it was great, little did I know how easy it was to actually make using fresh ingredients and home made stock. Here is my favorite recipe!

2 tbls unsalted butter plus 2 more for the roux
2 medium size red potatoes, skin on, 1/4 inch dice
1 shallot, finely diced
2 cups vegetable stock
3 cups corn, cut off the cob ( reserve the cob)
2 tbls flour
1 1/2 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup shredded sharp Vermont Cheddar
salt and pepper to taste
Oyster crackers to serve

In a pan, melt the 2 tbls of butter, add the shallot and cook until tender. Add the potatoes and cook for 5 minutes. Salt and pepper vegetables and then add the vegetable stock. Place the cobs from the corn into the pan as well. This will give the broth of more corn taste and make the broth milky. Simmer until potatoes are just about done, add the corn. In a separate pan, melt butter and add flour to make a roux. Pour in the heavy cream and heat until thickened. Off the heat add the cheddar and stir into cream. Pour cream into the corn and potato pan. Taste and season as necessary. Serve with oyster crackers.

1 comment:

  1. It's a little chilly here in Oregon, so I'm tempted to buy some fresh summer corn and make this chowder! Thanks for sharing your recipe.
    ~Jacquelyn

    ReplyDelete